Under review

Thumbnail generation problem ("Caching is off")

mystard 3 years ago updated 3 years ago 2

I'm not sure if updating FR (via FileRun itself) broke some of my settings. At least now I'm having trouble with thumbnail generation, that seems to be related to how the images are cached. It seems to be only large images (size or resolution) that it needs to resize with ImageMagick that cause issues. However ImageMagick seems to function fine, and FileRun also recognizes it, which lead me to believe something with the caching of the thumbnails is the issue.

ImageMagick appears to work fine, the folders permissions seem correct and I even cleared the thumbnail caches and let FileRun create new folders but the results are the same. I didn't find any option that I could toggle to make this "[caching]" work again, so hoping someone can help get it fixed here!

Thumbnail generation debug:

Debugging is on (1578153858)
Request options:
    [skipNotification] => 1
    [caching] => 
    [debug] => 1
In use options:
    [skipNotification] => 1
    [caching] => 
    [debug] => 1
    [width] => 400
    [height] => 400
    [geometry] => contain
    [pageNo] => 0
    [forceExt] => png
Processing: /var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/8Swww.png
As: png
File size: 17224 bytes (17 KB)
File is safe for web.
File is smaller than 8 MB.
Checking image resolution.
Image size is 1524 x 100
Requested size is 400 x 400
Original image is more than 3 times larger than the requested size.
Creating lock: /var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/.filerun.thumbnails/8Swww.png/17224/400_400_contain[1].png.lock
Resizing using ImageMagick
Running: /usr/local/bin/convert -size '400x400' "/var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/8Swww.png" -verbose -auto-orient -thumbnail '400x400>' -strip -quality 95 "/var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/.filerun.thumbnails/8Swww.png/17224/400_400_contain[1].png" 2>&1
Resized image saved: /var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/.filerun.thumbnails/8Swww.png/17224/400_400_contain[1].png
Removing lock: /var/www/mstk/imgsrv/fm/upload/i/.filerun.thumbnails/8Swww.png/17224/400_400_contain[1].png.lock
Caching is off. Removing resized image.


Your current software version is 2019.12.25

Version: ImageMagick 7.0.8-64 Q16 x86_64 2019-09-15 https://imagemagick.org
Copyright: © 1999-2019 ImageMagick Studio LLC
License: https://imagemagick.org/script/license.php
Features: Cipher DPC HDRI OpenMP(4.5)
Delegates (built-in): bzlib djvu fontconfig freetype gvc jbig jng jpeg lcms lqr lzma openexr png tiff wmf x xml zlib


PHP 7.3.6-1+0~20190531112546.39+jessie~1.gbp6131b7 (cli) (built: May 31 2019 12:11:07) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.3.6, Copyright (c) 1998-2018 Zend Technologies
with the ionCube PHP Loader + ionCube24 v10.3.5, Copyright (c) 2002-2019, by ionCube Ltd.
with Zend OPcache v7.3.6-1+0~20190531112546.39+jessie~1.gbp6131b7, Copyright (c) 1999-2018, by Zend Technologies


Debian 8 Jessie

Also another question: What are the defaults for the following options, I tried looking at the demo but it didn't have them:

1) Thumbnails and preview -> Thumbnail settings -> Use as thumbnails photos smaller than

2) Thumbnails and preview -> Preview settings -> Open without processing photos smaller than

I have 8MB and 4MB respectively, but I forgot weather these were the defaults or if I changed them. Thanks in advance!

Under review

The caching is always off for the troubleshooter, otherwise it wouldn't try to regenerate the thumbnail or preview. It doesn't mean the caching is off generally.

It would help to describe the problem from a user's perspective.

The defaults are 2 and 4 MB.


Thumbnails are not created for anything that needs to be resized with ImageMagick. Left image has a resizable resolution and right one is displayed as is.

Tested with convert logo: image.jpg as suggested in the troubleshooting steps, and that works.

Here is the file I've used as example in both posts: 8Swww.png

I first noticed the problem after running the updater via Options and then I noticed that ImageMagick option had been reset in the Thumbnails and preview settings, it was Off and I had to change it back to Direct exec.